Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Quick Update

Aaron started feeling side effects over the weekend (GI issues, severe abdominal pain). I felt really bad for him. He basically stayed on the couch all weekend. He felt better yesterday, but not 100% so he stayed home from work. He went in today and so far has felt okay. Still not 100%, but MUCH better than Saturday. Our street had a block party Saturday evening out in our cul-de-sac and he didn't get to go out and enjoy it. The boys and I had a wonderful time--kids were FILTHY! I'm surprised the bath water didn't turn black the night! Great time was had by all. Really enjoyed meeting all the neighbors. It really created a great vibe along the whole street. Hope we do it again soon so Aaron can go. It would have been a lot more fun if I had gotten to share it with him.
Right now, we are waiting to hear from Lackland AFB (San Antonio) about orders to move us back to Texas. There is a "patient squadron" there that he will be assigned to, but obviously we need to be in Houston, so we are working on getting that squared away with tremendous efforts from his old boss in Houston. (Thanks, Mr. Hess!) :) Will keep ya'll posted on that as I get more information. I don't have any idea when this might happen, but we both have VERY mixed feelings about it. If you had asked me a year ago if I would ever choose anywhere else on Earth to live besides Texas (if I were given the choice), I would have laughed in your face. But now that we have been in California for 6 months...I LOVE it here. Our neighbors are the BEST, hands down. The weather is incredible--our kids can be outside playing almost every day of the year. There is so much to do here--and a lot we haven't gotten to do that I really wanted to do in our 4 years here. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to live here forever. But we at least wanted 4 years. That being said, with regard to Aaron's health, I feel we will be in much better hands at MD Anderson. Honestly, UCLA has not instilled much confidence in us that they are doing the very best to treat Aaron's illness. I know at this point MD Anderson will do the same treatment (Yervoy) that UCLA is doing, but it's the patient "care" at UCLA that makes us question their ability to do the very best. MD Anderson is the #1 cancer treatment facility; UCLA falls in at #10. We have seen the difference between #1 and #10. And this just isn't cutting it. We are understandably scared, and we need the best right now. Okay, I'll get off my soap box. :) Like I said, I will keep you all informed on what I find out regarding Aaron's medical reassignment. (This turned out a lot longer than I intended!) Have a blessed day!


Jae Low said...

Continuing to pray for discernment in your decision making and for healing!

Ma-Teo said...

Thanks for the update. It's cool and wet back here in Texas...haha. Get him back to Houston! Can't wait to see y'all. Praying several times a day