Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The first day of the rest of my life

Today starts a new chapter in my life. I am now a stay at home mom. Trent is still going to preschool, but we are going to pull him down to half days starting probably next week. We are hoping to get him into the preschool at our church in September because they have a part time program where he will go Tuesday-Thursday for half days.

So anyway, yesterday was my last day at work. I sure was glad to leave, especially since I got to leave early! I worked with some really great people that I hope to keep in touch with. But for now, I'm okay living without them! :) I am so excited to be starting this new chapter in my life. I already have a list a mile long of things I want/need to do--and that's just today!

Also, we got some incredible news this past week that makes up our minds as to whether we will make the military a career or not. And it means that we will most definitely be a military family until Aaron retires after 20 years in. They have changed the GI Bill to where Aaron can transfer the benefits to our children and it will more than cover tuition, fees, housing, books, everything for both of them. Considering we have not saved a dime for our kids' college, that kind of made the career decision for us. You have to be in the military for 10 years before you can transfer the GI Bill to your kids, and the way we look at it, if we're already in 10 years, why not go another 10 and get the retirement benefits too? The only catch was, when we heard about them changing the Bill, it still had not been signed by President Bush, and they weren't sure whether he was going to sign it. But then I got this in my email this morning: http://www.military.com/news/article/bush-to-sign-new-gi-bill-today.html. He signed it yesterday! Can this day get any better, seriously?

Other exciting news: Laura, Kyle, Garrett, and Carson are coming to visit the weekend after the 4th. I still have not seen Carson in person, so I am way excited. We are also going to make plans to hang out with Scott (Kyle's brother) and his wife Darla. We haven't seen them in quite a while either--since before they got married, which was in December! Way too long! So it should be a fun weekend.

Okay, I am off to get started on this list of things to do!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hey, thanks for posting the link to the gi bill info. I am planning on going to school this fall (your precious sister is one of my inspirations!) and that will be absolutely awesome next year.

I hope you enjoy your home time. It is quite an adjustment, but absolutely 100% wonderful.

The Q. Family said...

I so agree with Katie... being a SAHM was quite an adjustment for me too but just the most amazing thing ever... I am so thrilled for you and can't wait to see pics of your newest little one!!